Industry Commons is based on a series of foundational principles and commitments, established and overseen by the Industry Commons Foundation.
Industry Commons is built on these foundational principles:
- Social, ecological and cultural impact is key to industry growth and economic sustainability.
- Creating a transversal value system maximises the potential for non-disruptive radical innovation.
- Radical rather than incremental innovation is required to solve grand societal challenges.
- Radical innovation is disruptive to industry only when it occurs outside of its value chain.
- It is possible to integrate radical innovation safely with existing industry capabilities.
- The current industrial technological environment presents the affordances, and offers the conditions, for radical innovation.
- The current dominant data-driven production technologies, such as embedded-ware, automation, robotics and AI provide a technological framework for cross-sector collaboration.
- Data-driven interfaces, such as APIs, GUIs and TUIs, are key technology enablers of transversal applications across industry sectors.
- Hybrid products, processes and services, can lead to the creation of entirely new markets at the junction between domains.
- Emerging technological environments require the creation of new standards for cross-domain collaboration.
- Smart legal frameworks can maximise the opportunity for industry to co-create.
- Intelligent data systems are key enablers for collaborative and distributed multiplier open innovation environments.
- Novel hybrid products enabled by transversal tools of production stimulate a new culture of use and open new markets.
- Diversity and inclusion stimulate a wider culture of use and result in the broadest market reach.
- The future of work relies on upskilling and amplifying human abilities of a large and diverse workforce that can leverage the intellectual capital of different geographical regions.
- Culture and creativity is key for evolving a human-centric, ethical, and secure culture of work.
Industry Commons is based on the following commitments:
- Set grand challenges to stimulate breakthrough ideas and business models.
- Assemble expertise from all areas of human activity and illuminate grand challenges from diverse perspectives.
- Cultivate new cultures at the junctions and in the collisions between industry verticals.
- Build layers of accountability and clarity for open innovation intellectual property ownership.
- Facilitate uninterrupted inflows and outflows of knowledge between open innovation contributors.
- Incubate the best disruptive seed ideas built on top of industry IPR.
- Empower teams of brilliant minds to discover new markets and new business models.
- Assess risk, early adoption, data and technology for a fast track to innovation.
- Address issues of privacy and security with cutting edge decentralised technologies and smart contracts.
- Support solutions that are meaningful to local and regional communities.
- Embed industry capabilities in external markets, new markets and new market niches.